Accused Gilgo Beach killer Rex Heuermann is no stranger to the court room, having filed four separate lawsuits over the course of nine years — each time claiming he was seriously hurt after a car accident.
Three years after the bodies of Heuermann’s alleged victims were discovered, the Long Island architect claimed he was seriously injured when a cabbie drove over his left foot in Midtown.
In the ensuing years, Heuermann, 59, had an extraordinary run of apparent bad luck, getting hurt in three other car accidents, he has claimed in court records. In that time, no other apparent Gilgo victims have been discovered.
The married father of two accused Queens cabbie Gurwinder Singh of injuring him on Oct. 31, 2013, and filed a $5 million lawsuit against the hack, the city and the Taxi & Limousine Commission 10 months later, according to court records.
Heuermann said he needed four to five months of treatment to heal his injured foot, records show. The case was settled. It’s unclear how much was paid out, or by whom.
In February 2016, Heuermann had been cruising along the Capital Beltway in Prince George County, Md., when he was allegedly struck by motorist Cynthia Darlene Martin, leaving him with “serious and permanent personal injuries,” he claimed in a subsequent $5 million lawsuit
Martin, however, recently told The Post she had no recollection of the case and has never been sued. The case appears to have been dropped.
Heuermann’s next accident came in January 2017, when he claimed he was seriously hurt while walking home on a rainy night from the Massapequa Park train station and a neighbor, Barbara O’Sullivan, hit him with her car, according to legal filings.
He sought $5 million in damages from O’Sullivan.
Who is Gilgo Beach serial killer suspect Rex Heuermann?
A suspected serial killer has been arrested over the notorious Gilgo Beach murders in Long Island, The Post can confirm.
Rex Heuermann, 59, a married dad of two and architect at a New York City firm, has a home on 1st Avenue in Massapequa Park, sources told The Post.
His arrest is tied to the “Gilgo Four,” four women — Melissa Barthelemy, 24, Megan Waterman, 22, Amber Lynn Costello, 27, and Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25 — found wrapped in burlap within days of each other in 2010.
The body of Barthelemy was first found along Ocean Parkway on Dec. 11, 2010, sparking fears of a serial killer in the area.
By spring 2011, the number of bodies had climbed to 10, including eight women as well as an unidentified man and toddler.
Heuermann’s arrest comes after Suffolk County’s new police commissioner created a special Gilgo Beach Homicide Investigation Task Force in February 2022.
Follow the Post’s Live blog for updates
O’Sullivan claimed to be driving just five miles an hour when Heuermann “walked right out in front of me” with his head down at the time of the accident, according to a deposition she provided in the case.
The case later settled, with the insurance company paying Heuermann $55,000, according to O’Sullivan’s boyfriend, Steve VonDuerring.
And in February 2022, Heuermann claims his 2012 Chevrolet was slammed into by a Long Island couple, Lindsay and CD Fenimore, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, in a crash which again allegedly left him with “serious” injuries, legal papers show.
In February 2022, Heuermann’s car collided with a Volkswagen Lindsay Fenimore was driving, which once again left him with severe injuries, he said in court papers.
The case is ongoing. A lawyer who represented Heuermann in the lawsuits did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment.
Additional reporting by Georgett Roberts, Sofia Barnett, and Jacob Geanous.